Business Analysis Workshop
“Business analysis has become a competency of critical importance to project management. Becoming a certified Business Analysis (BA) expert, can move your career in a fresh direction while opportunities for BAs are on the rise.” – PMI-PBA.
To nurture the budding BAs and to support them to move up in their value chain, PMI Bangalore India Chapter formed a BA volunteer group to formulate BA curriculum. The objectives of the BA volunteer group were to:
- Come up with a modularized BA curriculum
- Focus on learning the techniques and methods
- Cater to varied domains (apart from a focus on IT).
The BA volunteer group considered the founding practices prescribed by International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA) and PMI’s Practice guide and came up with 6 modules of BA curriculum as follows:
- Needs assessment
- BA planning and monitoring
- Requirements elicitation and collaboration
- Requirements analysis and design definition
- Requirements life-cycle management
- Solution evaluation
The content of the modules was prepared for a workshop mode of delivery to ensure that there are more hands-on sessions with optimal concept exploration. The iteration of prepare-review-improvise churned out a ‘quality’ content and the BA Volunteer group was ready to launch its first workshop in September 2018, having taken just 3 months to prepare the curriculum.
The first “Workshop on Business Analysis – An introduction to the world of Business Analysis” was launched on 8th September 2018 with 22 participants attending. Highlights of the workshop:
- Pre-workshop inputs on ‘challenges faced’, ‘expectations from the workshop’ (apart from details like participant’s area of work, experience level, etc.) were collected in advance so that the course content could be tailored to match expectations.
- Case studies from varied domains (automotive, ERP, IT, construction) and profession (Project management, PMO, BA…) were provided in advance and the participants were free to choose the case study of their choice.
- As part of the pre-workshop evaluation, the participants were provided with an online tool for skill evaluation. This helped the participants to evaluate their BA skills prior to attending the workshop.
- All participants received a toolkit consisting of a set of techniques and methods used across the entire BA curriculum.
- The workshop witnessed engaged participation in terms of hands-on exercises like drawing context diagram and mindmap or practicing techniques like brainstorming, DAR and interview.
The feedback of the workshop was encouraging and the second workshop is planned on 24th November 2018. The first quarter of 2019 (Jan-Mar) will also witness a two days version of the workshop targeting the BA practitioners who wish to enhance their skills sets to the next level.
Considering the importance of the current agile development methodology, the BA volunteer group is engaged in developing a curriculum on “Agile Business Analysis”. The workshop design is aimed at ‘play and learn’ mode and the first workshop on Agile Business Analysis is planned during December 2018.
The BA volunteer group is striving to synergize BA and project management for the overall success of the projects.